Duck with Orange Hazelnut Stuffing Recipe
- 2 domestic ducklings (4 to 5 pounds each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups coarse soft bread crumbs
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 cups chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1. Sprinkle the inside of ducks with salt; prick skin several times and set aside. Combine the first 15 stuffing ingredients; spoon into ducks.
- 2. Place with breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for duck and 165° for stuffing.
- 3. Remove all stuffing and keep warm. For gravy, combine 3 tablespoons pan drippings, flour, salt and pepper in a saucepan; stir until smooth. Heat until bubbly, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add marmalade; stir until smooth.
- 4. Serve with ducks and stuffing. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 1031 calories, 80g fat (24g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fiber), 45g protein.
Reviews for Duck with Orange Hazelnut Stuffing
"This is the way to treat a duck! Because we are real fans of stuffing, I used about 2 more cups of breadcrumbs and tripled the thyme and nutmeg measurements. I also added a 1/2 tablespoon of orange blossom water, which brought out the other spices beautifully.The gravy was the easiest I have ever made. I added a little more cube bullion to even out the salty vs. sweet balance. My family (including my inlaws) was raving about this meal for days on end. Great Thanksgiving meal!!"