Duck with Orange Hazelnut Stuffing Recipe
- 2 domestic ducklings (4 to 5 pounds each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups coarse soft bread crumbs
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 cups chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- Sprinkle the inside of ducks with salt; prick skin several times and set aside. Combine the first 15 stuffing ingredients; spoon into ducks.
- Place with breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for duck and 165° for stuffing.
- Remove all stuffing and keep warm. For gravy, combine 3 tablespoons pan drippings, flour, salt and pepper in a saucepan; stir until smooth. Heat until bubbly, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add marmalade; stir until smooth.
- Serve with ducks and stuffing. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Duck with Orange Hazelnut Stuffing
Sort By :
This is the way to treat a duck! Because we are real fans of stuffing, I used about 2 more cups of breadcrumbs and tripled the thyme and nutmeg measurements. I also added a 1/2 tablespoon of orange blossom water, which brought out the other spices beautifully.
The gravy was the easiest I have ever made. I added a little more cube bullion to even out the salty vs. sweet balance. My family (including my inlaws) was raving about this meal for days on end. Great Thanksgiving meal!!