Duck with Cherry Sauce Recipe
My mom prepared this golden tender roast duck often for Sunday dinner when I was growing up. It was one of my dad's favorite meals. The cheery cherry sauce stirs up easily and makes this main dish doubly delightful.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing YIELD:4-5 servings
- 1 domestic duckling (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) cherry preserves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Bing cherries, star fruit and kale, optional
- 1. Prick skin of duckling well and place breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Tie drumsticks together. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until juices run clear and a thermometer reads 180°. (Drain fat from pan as it accumulates.) Cover and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- 2. Meanwhile, for sauce, combine preserves and vinegar in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Serve with duck. Garnish platter with fruit and kale if desired. Yield: 4-5 servings.
6 ounces cooked duck equals 664 calories, 41 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC