Dublin Dumpling Stew Recipe
I've come a long way with my cooking since getting married some 40 years ago...and the credit goes to my older sister. Through the years, she's passed on many delicious recipes like this.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 medium carrots
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown pork in butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic; cook until vegetables are tender. Quarter carrots lengthwise, then cut into 2-in. pieces; add to pork mixture. Add the water, bouillon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add mixed vegetables; reduce heat to low.
- 3. For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, caraway seeds, salt and mustard. Beat the egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients all at once. Stir just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls over stew. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1-2/3 cup equals 411 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 1,256 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC