Dublin Dumpling Stew Recipe
- 1 pound boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 medium carrots
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown pork in butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic; cook until vegetables are tender. Quarter carrots lengthwise, then cut into 2-in. pieces; add to pork mixture. Add the water, bouillon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add mixed vegetables; reduce heat to low.
- 3. For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, caraway seeds, salt and mustard. Beat the egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients all at once. Stir just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls over stew. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1-2/3 cup equals 411 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 1,256 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Reviews for Dublin Dumpling Stew
"I made this recipe forSt. Patty's day. My family LOVED this!!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer