Dublin Dumpling Stew Recipe
- 1 pound boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 medium carrots
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown pork in butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic; cook until vegetables are tender. Quarter carrots lengthwise, then cut into 2-in. pieces; add to pork mixture. Add the water, bouillon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add mixed vegetables; reduce heat to low.
- 3. For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, caraway seeds, salt and mustard. Beat the egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients all at once. Stir just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls over stew. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1-2/3 cup: 411 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1256mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein
Reviews for Dublin Dumpling Stew
"I made this recipe forSt. Patty's day. My family LOVED this!!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer