Drop Sugar Cookies
From Coos Bay, Oregon, Shirley Brazel shares a recipe she's been relying on for more than 25 years. The cookies have a crisp edge, soft center and subtle lemon flavor. Choose colored sugar to tailor them to any occasion.
21 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar or colored sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon peel
- until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually
- beat into egg mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 8-10
- minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1-2 minutes
- before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about
- 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 140 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.