Drop Doughnuts Recipe
For 30 years, I've been using leftover mashed potatoes to make these light and fluffy doughnuts. The recipe was originally created by my neighbor's mother-in-law. The doughnuts are great for breakfast or as a snack anytime. -Marilyn Kleinfall, Elk Grove Village, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:18-20 servings
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar or confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; stir in potato mixture.
- 2. Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm. Yield: 3 to 3-1/2 dozen.
2 doughnuts (calculated without additional sugar) equals 88 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 59 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC