- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In large heavy saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Stir in chocolate mixture until blended. Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat the butter, milk and pudding mix until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; spread over crust.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Drizzle over filling. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Drizzled Nanaimo Bars
"Just a note...true Nanaimo Bars have a luscious and creamy centre filling that is the thickest part of the bar. The chocolate layer on top actually covers the whole thing, as opposed to being drizzled."
"I loved these! Yes it was spread a little thin when making, but it tasted fine. I may try and use less chocolate for drizzling next time as it seemed to cover the whole pan."
"These were a hit with my family and friends! I wish I had looked on the comments here first before I started though, because I would have known to have done a few things differently! Like the other reviews, the filling barely covered the graham cracker crust, so I doubled the recipe on the filling, and then for the chocolate drizzle on top, I just used 2oz, of chocolate instead of the 8 it called for. I only had 2 oz in my pantry, and this worked out just perfectly! Any more and it would have been WAYYY too much. Glad others felt the same way. I thought these were really good, and everyone I have given them to, seems to love them! I will make again, and of course note the changes on my recipe."
"As others have noted, the filling needs to be increased and drizzle decreased (unless you want to cover the entire pan), but overall this was a hit with my family. I will be making it again with the modifications."
"Next time I will use the entire box of pudding mix, because the layer with only 2 tablespoons barely covered the pan of graham cracker mix on the bottom. And the chocolate layer was more a complete coverage with 8 oz, than a drizzle. Otherwise tasty!"