Dried Cherry Muffins
Try this luscious muffin that stars sweet-tart dried cherries for breakfast or brunch, suggests Sandra Wagner of Chicago, Illinois.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries, halved
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed
- mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each
- addition. Fold in cherries.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners; fill
- three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5
- minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: One muffin equals 184 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.