Dried Cherry Muffins Recipe
Try this luscious muffin that stars sweet-tart dried cherries for breakfast or brunch, suggests Sandra Wagner of Chicago, Illinois.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries, halved
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cherries.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6 muffins.
One muffin equals 184 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC