Dried Cherry Muffins Recipe
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries, halved
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cherries.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6 muffins.
1 each: 184 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Dried Cherry Muffins
"I made the dried cranberry variation suggested by the editors and found that the muffin cups needed to be filled half-full, not three-quarters full, for a yield of 6. They rose well, were moist and looked pretty. But, I could taste a baking soda flavor, which I didn't care for."