- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries, halved
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cherries.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6 muffins.
Reviews for Dried Cherry Muffins
Sort By :
"I made the dried cranberry variation suggested by the editors and found that the muffin cups needed to be filled half-full, not three-quarters full, for a yield of 6. They rose well, were moist and looked pretty. But, I could taste a baking soda flavor, which I didn't care for."