Dried Cherry Cranberry Sauce
This recipe is a great change of pace from the more common orange-cranberry sauce combinations. We especially like it around the holidays served alongside a roast turkey. It's so much better than canned cranberry sauce.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/4 pound dried cherries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- Place cherries in a bowl and cover with warm water. Let stand for 10
- minutes or until plumped. Drain cherries, discarding water.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, cranberries and
- cherries. Cook and stir over medium heat until the berries pop,
- about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and skim foam from top of
- mixture. Cool to room temperature. Cover and store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 4 cups.
TEST KITCHEN TIP You can also plump the cherries in warmed orange juice instead of water.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 107 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.