Dressed-Up Applesauce Recipe
In Cincinnati, Ohio, Therian Mendelsohn jazzes up ordinary applesauce with lemon juice and a sprinkling of spices to create this speedy side dish. It's wonderful warm or cold with a savory helping of pork or chicken.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 10 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Serve warm or refrigerate. Yield: 4 servings.
One 1-cup serving equals 205 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC