In Cincinnati, Ohio, Therian Mendelsohn jazzes up ordinary applesauce with lemon juice and a sprinkling of spices to create this speedy side dish. It's wonderful warm or cold with a savory helping of pork or chicken.
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Serve warm or refrigerate. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Dressed-Up Applesauce in Quick Cooking December 2000, p11
Reviews for Dressed-Up Applesauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 29, 2010
"Next time I make this I think I'll tone down the spices just a pinch so the applesauce flavor comes through a little bit more. But it is very tasty!"