This recipe is my children's favorite (and mine!). For even more sweet flavor, they always ask me to dust the bars with confectioners' sugar.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oats and 1/2 cup brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and remaining brown sugar. Combine the coconut, walnuts, baking powder, salt and remaining flour; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly over crust. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into bars while warm. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Dreamy Chocolate Chip Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p88
Reviews for Dreamy Chocolate Chip Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2015
"Delicious! Kids favorite!"
Reviewed Dec. 30, 2010
"tastes really good; doesn't look that good for guests"
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2009
"Rich and delicious"