- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless country-style pork ribs, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground allspice or cinnamon
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 small red potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cooked wild rice
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in bay leaves, wine, seasonings and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meat is tender, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and apple. Cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Mix cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve over wild rice and, if desired, top with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Dragon Lady Stew in Ultimate Halloween 2016, p32
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Dragon Lady Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review