Dr Spicy BBQ Pork Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) Dr Pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- French-fried onions, Rustic Garden Herb Biscuits and Zesty Coleslaw, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle roast with garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub with chipotle peppers. Place in a Dutch oven. Top with sweet onion; sprinkle with brown sugar. Pour Dr Pepper around roast. Bake, covered, 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove roast; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving onion; skim fat from juices.
- 3. Shred pork with two forks. Return juices, onion and pork to Dutch oven. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally. If desired, sprinkle with French-fried onions and serve with biscuits and coleslaw. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
2/3 cup pork mixture (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 372 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Reviews for Dr Spicy BBQ Pork
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.