This is my favorite "go-to" recipe for any time I have to take food anywhere. Everyone loves it. When it is baked in layers rather than in a single layer, it presences will make people say "wow." It is a crowd-pleaser! —Shannon Parum, Vernon, Texas
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix, regular size
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) Dr Pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 container (12 ounces) whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in Dr Pepper and vanilla.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in cocoa. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Dr Pepper Cake in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p377
Reviews for Dr Pepper Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review