Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce
My family is stationed in Italy with my husband, Lieutenant William Robert Blackman. William grew up in Memphis, Tennessee, and I’m from Texas, so the dish that spells "home" for us is a good ol' barbecue. I have my own recipe for barbecue sauce that we like to pour all over sliced brisket. Eating it reminds us of weekend barbecues with our families. —Tina Blackman, Naples, Italy
8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 can (12 ounces) Dr Pepper
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until slightly thickened,
- stirring occasionally. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 60 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Wine: Blush Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.