Down-Home Meat Loaf
Many people cringe when they hear the term "meat loaf", but it's one of my favorite foods that Mom made while I was growing up. I love the ketchup topping, and the loaf freezes well.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over
- mixture and mix well. Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Spread with ketchup; bake 15-20 minutes
- longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is no
- longer pink. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Meat loaf may
- be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 294 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot