Many people cringe when they hear the term "meat loaf", but it's one of my favorite foods that Mom made while I was growing up. I love the ketchup topping, and the loaf freezes well. -Daria Burcar Rochester, Michigan
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Spread with ketchup; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Meat loaf may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Down-Home Meat Loaf in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p36
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Down-Home Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review