Tip: This chicken is also delicious with mashed potatoes. Mom served the thick, tangy sauce that coats this tender chicken as a gravy over rice or mashed potatoes. It makes a welcome centerpiece for any meal. —Donna Sasser Hinds, Milwaukie, Oregon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Brown chicken in oil on all sides; remove to paper towels. Drain drippings and return chicken to the pan.
- In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, ketchup, molasses, oil, Worcestershire sauce, cloves, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Down-Home Chicken in Taste of Home June/July 2006, p35
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Down-Home Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review