- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coarse sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for coating, combine coarse sugar and cinnamon. Dip tops of warm muffins in butter, then coat in cinnamon-sugar. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Doughnut Muffins
Sort By :
"I followed the recipe and they looked good but they were only OK for us--rather bland. We ate a few but discarded the rest."
"they are okay for muffins, but do not taste like doughnuts."
"I got 18 instead of 12. They were tasty, and I agree that the topping was necessary, but I got the amount down significantly and it still worked. A glaze would have worked as well."
"Great quick replacement for doughnuts. I also made some glaze with powdered sugar and did half of them glazed. If you use standard size muffin tins and fill them all the way to the top, you will get exactly 12."
"These muffins NEED the topping in order to taste like a donut. Otherwise, they are kinda bland."