After many tries and many different recipes that just weren't up to par, I finally decided to recreate my own version of a doughnut muffin. It has the taste of a cake doughnut and it's a lot simpler to make. —Morgan Botwinick, Richmond, Virginia
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coarse sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for coating, combine coarse sugar and cinnamon. Dip tops of warm muffins in butter, then coat in cinnamon-sugar. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Doughnut Muffins in Simple & Delicious August/September 2013, p40
Reviews for Doughnut Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review