- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons eggnog
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- EGGNOG FROSTING:
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons eggnog
- Additional ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, eggnog and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 13-16 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the first five frosting ingredients until blended; beat in enough eggnog to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Let stand until set. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Double Whammy Eggnog Cookies
"Great egg nog flavor from just a small amount of egg nog. Love the fresh grated nutmeg on top."
"These were definitely the hit of the Christman cookie tray! I do suggest to cut the amount of rum extract to 1/2- to 1 teaspoon for the full recipe of frosting. Also, this is just way too much frosting for the number of cookies. You can cut the amount of frosting you make in half & still have plenty of it too."
"These were delicious!!!!! I don't really like eggnog, but I loved these cookies. They were light and fluffy and melted in my mouth. My husband and kids loved them. The only thing I didn't like (my preference only) was that they came out kind of like a mound after they were cooked. So with the remaining batches, I pressed each ball slightly with a cup to flatten just a little (like a snickerdoodle). I thought they cooked more evenly and had a better texture that way."