These two-shell tacos from our Test Kitchen staff are twice the fun. A warm pita spread with refried beans enfolds a crispy taco shell filled with savory ground beef and tempting toppings.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 2 whole pita breads
- 2 taco shells
- Toppings: chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and/or shredded lettuce, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, spread 1/4 cup refried beans over one side of each pita.
- Place on a microwave-safe plate; heat, uncovered, on high for 15-20
- seconds or until warmed. Immediately wrap each pita around a taco
- shell. Fill with beef mixture. Serve with toppings of your choice.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 526 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 1,435 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 32 g protein.