Double Orange Scones Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped mandarin oranges, well drained
- Additional sugar
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, orange peel and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg and milk; add to crumb mixture. Stir in oranges just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Cut into eight separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack.
- 3. For orange butter, beat butter and marmalade in a small bowl until fluffy. Serve with warm scones. Yield: 8 scones.
1 each: 327 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 409mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Double Orange Scones
"This recipe originally appeared over 15 years ago in a Pillsbury monthly cookbook. The only difference: she added the 1/4 tsp salt. Outrageously dishonest."
"This recipe is absolutely amazing! I've made these scones at least 25 times and every time they just dissapear!"
"Good, but the orange flavor in the scones is faint."
"I am English and these rate right up there, make them all the time, they are great"