Double Orange Scones Recipe
I first used this recipe several years ago for a church breakfast and received rave reviews. Orange butter adds the perfect finishing touch on each hearty bite.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped mandarin oranges, well drained
- Additional sugar
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, orange peel and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg and milk; add to crumb mixture. Stir in oranges just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Cut into eight separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack.
- 3. For orange butter, beat butter and marmalade in a small bowl until fluffy. Serve with warm scones. Yield: 8 scones.
1 serving (calculated without additional sugar) equals 327 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 409 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC