- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (6 ounces) orange juice concentrate, thawed, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon reserved orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add sour cream and eggs. Beat until well blended. Reserve 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate for frosting. Add the remaining concentrate with combined dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; mix well. Stir in orange peel.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine all frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread a small amount over each cookie. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews for Double Orange Cookies
"These were so-so. I don't think I would describe them as "nutritious" as is mentioned in the description. I followed the recipe to a "T". The dough was super sticky and hard to work with. They also seemed to take nearly 20 minutes to bake fully (have no idea why). I will say the frosting was yummy. Without the frosting these cookies would be a bit boring for sure. I'm going to give it one more try with lemonade instead of orange juice. We'll see what happens. I've been baking cookies successfully for 35 years, yet have no idea why the dough was so weird and didn't want to bake in the allotted time frame.. It was a mystery for sure. If the lemon ones don't work out for me either, I'll be scrapping this recipe."
"I tried this recipe yesterday and it turned out flavorless though I added some more sugar and juice as described in recipe but it was not good at all.I don't get why these people are praising it can anyone send me these cookies:)"
"I tried this recipe yesterday and it turned out flavorless though I added some more sugar and juice as described in recipe but it was not good at all.didnot get why tehse people are praising it can anyone send me these cookies:)"
"Loved the cookies, I'm just wondering how the submitter justifies calling them "nutritious"... A cup of butter, cup of sour cream, sugar, cream cheese?"
"Loved these cookies. After reading the reviews I decided for my first try at these I would make lemon cookies. I followed the cookie recipe exactly using lemonade and lemon peel. For the frosting I did not want to use cream cheese so I just used butter. I did not have milk on hand so I used lemon juice from the lemons used for the zest. Such wonderful real lemon flavor - these cookies are a hit! I can't wait to try orange, and will possibly even try lime."