It's the slow cooking of this brisket that makes it so tender. It gets a wonderfully sweet-tangy flavor from chili sauce, cider vinegar and brown sugar.—Elaine Sweet, Dallas, Texas
Recommended: 95 Tasty Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Cut brisket in half; sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown brisket in oil; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook and stir onions over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until caramelized.
- Place half of the onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with celery and brisket. Combine the chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and soup mix. Pour over brisket; top with remaining onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Skim fat from cooking juices; serve juices with meat. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Double-Onion Beef Brisket in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2008, p34
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Double-Onion Beef Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review