Double-Nut Stuffed Figs
We have a diabetic in the family and this recipe is healthy and nutritious without compromising all the flavor of a holiday dessert. —Bob Bailey, Columbus, Ohio
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 36 dried Calimyrna figs
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 7 tablespoons agave nectar, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove stems from figs. Cut an “X” in the
- top of each fig, about two-thirds of the way down.
- In a small bowl, combine pecans, walnuts, 3 tablespoons agave nectar,
- cocoa, cinnamon and cloves; spoon into figs. Arrange in a 13x9-in.
- baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix pomegranate juice, lemon juice and remaining
- agave nectar; drizzle over figs. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Bake,
- uncovered, 8-10 minutes longer or until heated through, basting
- occasionally with cooking liquid. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 stuffed fig equals 98 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,