Double-Nut English Toffee
You'll have plenty of goodies on hand when you make this nut-packed candy. Unlike some versions, this toffee isn't too hard and is easy to eat.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups ground walnuts or pecans, divided
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set
- aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and remaining butter. Cook
- and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 290°
- (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in almonds.
- Immediately pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate chips; let stand until chips become
- glossy. Spread evenly over top. Sprinkle with 1 cup walnuts. Cover
- and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt remaining chips; stir until smooth. Spread over
- toffee. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Cover and refrigerate until
- set, about 30 minutes. Break into 2-in. pieces. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 3-1/2 pounds.