Double Nut Baklava Recipe
It may take some time to make this rich, buttery treat, but it's well worth the effort! The blend of coconut, pecans and macadamia nuts is irresistible. —Kari Caven, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted
- 1 package phyllo dough (16 ounces, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size), thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside. Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll the sheets of phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer 10 sheets of phyllo in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with five phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Brush top sheet of phyllo with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 36 diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and honey to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Pour hot syrup over baklava. Cover and let stand overnight. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Double Nut Baklava in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p71
Reviews for Double Nut Baklava(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 20, 2012
Incredible! It IS time consuming, but well worth it. I have family members request it as gifts. I haven't found another baklava recipe that compares.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Gift Recipes >
- Greek Desserts >
- Greek Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Macadamia Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >