Double Nut Baklava Recipe
It may take some time to make this rich, buttery treat, but it's well worth the effort! The blend of coconut, pecans and macadamia nuts is irresistible. —Kari Caven, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing YIELD:36 servings
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted
- 1 package phyllo dough (16 ounces, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size), thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside. Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll the sheets of phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- 2. Layer 10 sheets of phyllo in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with five phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Brush top sheet of phyllo with butter.
- 3. Using a sharp knife, cut into 36 diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and honey to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Pour hot syrup over baklava. Cover and let stand overnight. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 piece equals 174 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC