- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted
- 1 package phyllo dough (16 ounces, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size), thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside. Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll the sheets of phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer 10 sheets of phyllo in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with five phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Brush top sheet of phyllo with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 36 diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and honey to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Pour hot syrup over baklava. Cover and let stand overnight. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Double Nut Baklava in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p71
Reviews for Double Nut Baklava
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 20, 2012
Incredible! It IS time consuming, but well worth it. I have family members request it as gifts. I haven't found another baklava recipe that compares.