This simple souffle bursts with flavor. The crispy topping of cheese hides a creamy layer of turkey underneath. If I don't have turkey on hand, I use chicken instead. —Sharon Amidon, Guthrie, Oklahoma
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- SOUFFLE LAYER:
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Separate eggs; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease a 2-1/2-qt. souffle dish and lightly sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms; saute until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add turkey; heat through. Transfer to prepared dish.
- For souffle layer, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add shallot; saute until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in spinach and cheese.
- Stir a small amount of hot spinach mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into spinach mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Pour over turkey layer.
- Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Double Layered Souffle in Taste of Home November 2011, p69
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Double Layered Souffle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review