Double Jack Mac Recipe
This was a recipe that came about when I asked my two sisters what they would like to see added to traditional Mac and Cheese to make it a little special. One said Pepper Jack Cheese and the other said black beans. I liked both of the ideas and this is the result. The black beans add color and nutrition. The Pepper Jack cheese adds zip and fun.—Andrea Johnson, Freeport, Illinois
- 1 pound small pasta shells
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Additional minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Cook shells according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Add the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, pepper Jack cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, cumin and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- 4. Drain pasta. Add the beans, bacon, cilantro and pasta to the cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese blend.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Garnish with additional cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 837 calories, 41g fat (24g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1283mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 37g protein
Reviews for Double Jack Mac
Reviewed Dec. 30, 2013
"the best Mac n cheese I've ever tasted"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC