- CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- BUTTERSCOTCH LAYER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a small bowl, combine butter and cocoa until smooth. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in chocolate mixture. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture just until blended. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- For butterscotch layer, in a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Spoon over chocolate layer. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Quickly spread over brownies.
- In a microwave, melt the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and shortening at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over frosting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Double-Decker Brownies
Sort By :
After reading another review about the brownies being too crispy on the edge, I baked them in a Pampered Chef stoneware pan in a convection oven @ 325 for 35 min. No crispy edges:-) I love the frosting - it reminds me of my mother's frosting, she called it "penuche frosting" I think. My family doesn't like nuts so I omitted them. They're better the 2nd day. Great recipe.
I actually have a question. My icing got real hard & I couldn't spread it on the brownies. The icing is on there, but it falls off when you take a bite. I had put the brownies in the refrigerator to cool, could that be the problem? Any suggestions, anyone??? They taste great, but the icing just doesn't work. Thanks
This turned out Even better than I imagined...
I read some of the reviews and adapted my recipe.
First of all, I added chocolate chips to the cookie recipe..
I baked first for 30 minutes @350, then I covered it and baked for an additional 10 minutes.
Then, I uncovered it and continued cooking for another 10 minutes to brown more.
They turned out great, not dry moist and chocolaty!!! Yummy!!!
Make sure that the butter and the eggs are room temprature.
Also make the layers one at a time, the brownie layer needs time to settle, just the time you need to make the cookie layer.
That really makes a diffrence...
These are really good brownies! They aren't too chocolatey, which I like. I also really like the powdered sugar icing. As another reviewer mentioned, they are difficult to cook evenly - they start to crisp on the edges quickly. I'd recommend cooking for 30 minutes on 350 and then covering with foil and cooking at 400 for another ten. (That's the only reason I gave them four stars.) But although they were a little gooey on the inside, they were fully cooked and very good. I brought them to a cookout, and they were a hit!
awsome recipe! i made it without the frosting... the only issue i had with baking it for 35 minutes was that even though the butterscotch layer on top was nice and crispy all over, the sides started to burn and the middle was still a little gooey under the crispiness. anyways the brownies were a hit and they are already almost gone! the only thing i did differently was that i put the walnuts along with semi sweet morsels in the middle of the 2 layers. Again defn a keeper!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Brownies >
- Brownie Frosting >
- Brownie Recipes >
- Chocolate Brownie Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >