Double Chocolate Torte Recipe
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon chocolate sprinkles
- 1. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions for fudge-like brownies. Spread batter in a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 38-42 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate; cool completely.
- 3. In a bowl, stir the chocolate and butter until smooth. Spread over brownie layer; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Just before serving, top with whipped topping. Decorate with sprinkle. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews for Double Chocolate Torte
"I would have to agree 1 c of butter is way to much. I think it is a error because you don't need that much butter for the amount of chocolate chips. I would use only 1-2 TBsp no more than that. All the butter is used for is to keep it for is to keep the chocolate from burning and you need something to thin it out so it won't set up hard. other than that overall good besides the frosting."
"I have been making this recipe since it appeared in the May/June 1998 issue of quick Cooking. The original recipe that I have cut out from the magazine only calls for 1/2 cup of butter. However, I have cut it back even from that and use only 6 Tbsp of butter with the 1 cup of chocolate chips and it is still more than enough.As the recipe states, bake until the middle springs back; I will add do not judge by sticking a toothpick in the middle. If you wait until a toothpick comes out clean, it will be too dry. You want it to be fudgey, and the toothpick will still be a little gooey at that point.This is super easy, looks great, and tastes decadent. Try this one!"
"use only 1/2 cup butter, softened"
"I was skeptical that the recipe would taste original and homemade with so few ingredients, but it was delicious!! It looks gorgeous when you serve it and it tastes great. I took the other reviewer's suggestion to cut the butter in half - a great idea as the chocolate still spreads easily and it cuts out umpteen grams of fat. Thanks TOH!"
"We found that the frosting tasted like butter and like it much better when the butter was cut in half. I used just one cube of butter and one cup of chocolate chips. Other than that, it is delicious!"
"We use a springform pan because it's hard to get out of normal cake pan, even with grease and flour. We make this often. It's so simple yet it looks so elegant. Definitely a favorite."