- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water and milk. Beat in chocolate until combined.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and cocoa. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Transfer to a bowl; stir occasionally until completely cooled. Beat until smooth; spread over cake. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Double Chocolate Sheet Cake
"Is the 1/2 cup of milk suppose to be in the batter recipe along with the water? Maybe that's why it's so runny?"
"This cake was sooo good! Exactly what I was looking for and easy to make. As one previous review stated, the batter was pretty runny, which worried me a bit, and it took about 10 mins longer to bake than the recipe states, but it set up just fine and was delicious. I substitued baking cocoa for the baking chocolate but worked out fine. I also skipped the frosting and just dusted some powdered sugar on the top. This is my new go-to cake recipe!"
"I followed the recipe to the letter but the batter was very runny. The batter remained runny after 55 minutes of bake time. Perhaps this should be mentioned in the baking instructions."
"made the cake --it was great but was afraid to make frosting -- is that 1 cup granular sugar??"
"I followed the recipe with the exception tat I substituted Splenda for Baking, for the sugars. Recipe turned out well but next time will reduce the amount of Splenda, it was too sweet using given amounts. I also added sliced roasted almonds to topping of cake and served it with sliced strawberries and fresh coffee. Very good."