- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg, then egg white, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the buttermilk, water, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat into batter just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 14 cupcakes.
Reviews for Double Chocolate Cupcakes
"These are the best thing when I need a chocolate fix. Am working on another batch, everybody at work gobbled them up."
"Used regular size dark chocolate chips. Sprinkled cooled cupcakes with powdered sugar. Very good!"
"A tiny bit dry"
"I made these with gluten free flour, they turned out great!! I used 1/2 cup cocoa powder and reduced the flour to 1 1/3 cups. I mixed 1/2 cup of chips with flour & cocoa so they didn't fall to bottom. It made 6 JUMBO muffins. YUMMY!!!"
"Great light treat for when you're having a chocolate craving. I made exactly as written and they came out fine but my batter only made 12 as well (not 14)."
"Looked picture perfect out of the oven! Added an extra 1/2 cup of the miniature chocolate chips!"
"This is a good recipe for when you're craving chocolate but don't want a whole lot of calories."
"These were great, however I did make a few changes. I used 2% milk in place of the buttermilk. I also mixed the chocolate chips into the batter and had no problem with them sticking to the pan - also sprinkled chocolate chips on top. The biggest change I made was I added a bit more flour, and poured the mixture into jumbo muffin pans. Tasted just like a jumbo muffin without all the fat and calories! Recipe made 6. Will absolutely make again, my hubby had no clue that they were a healthier version of a family favorite!"
"These came out great and they are a pefect lower fat chocolate dessert. I didn't have any mini chips on hand, so I used larger sized chips and chopped them up a bit. Delicious!"
"Very yummy:) I might try sprinkling chips on the top next time I make this. I put more mini chips in mine as well:)"