Double-Chocolate Cream Roll Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 2 packages (3.3 ounces each) instant white chocolate pudding mix or 2 packages (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 3 tablespoons fat-free caramel ice cream topping, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon fat-free hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
- 1. Coat a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in baking pan with cooking spray; line with parchment paper. Grease the paper with shortening; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in vanilla. Combine 1 cup confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg yolks. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert the cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with remaining confectioners' sugar. Gently but quickly peel off parchment paper.
- 4. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Set aside 1 cup. Unroll cake; spread remaining filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in of edges. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of caramel topping; sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of walnuts. Roll up again.
- 6. Spread reserved filling over cake roll. Drizzle with hot fudge sauce and remaining caramel topping. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
One slice equals 227 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.