- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together the first six ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk bananas, oil and egg until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Reviews for Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
"These are SO good! Easy to put together and bake up beautifully. They're dense and moist and you can really taste the banana and the chocolate. I didn't make the optional streusel topping but they really didn't need it. Great for breakfast, lunch, snack, or anytime! These are a keeper and I will definitely make these often! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful muffin recipe!"
"My kids (11 & 8) made these pretty much independently. Texture is fantastic - not dry at all and the bananas make it really sweet and perfect. Yum!"
"Just have to add one more rave review. Absolutely delicious. Doesn't really need the streusel topping. I made mini muffins and they are perfect for popping in your mouth on the way out the door in the morning. Yum."
"I made these muffins today as a coming home gift for our neighbours, very good. They only thing I changed is I didn't use all the streusel topping (only used about 1/3) as I thought it was too much. I made them a little smaller and got 15 muffins from the recipe."
"Absolutely delicious! Moist and chocolatey-I did make the optional streusel topping. Great way to use my ripe bananas; a big hit with my family that I will definitely make again!"
"Did not make the streusel topping, but these muffins are delicious!!!"
"Really nice muffins. I increased the mashed banana to 1 1/2 cups and omitted the streusel topping After baking the muffins while still warm I brushed the tops generously with melted butter and sprinkled them with sugar. This worked well and added an additional extra moist slightly sweet touch to the muffins. I made 9 large muffins in Parchment liners and baked them for 24 minutes. I had no mini chocolate chips so I used regular SS chocolate chips. This is a keeper recipe for us. Great use of my frozen bananas."
"These were amazing. Super moist and just the right amount of chocolate!"
"Absolutely delicious! I made these with the streusel topping and they were heavenly! My only change would be to halve the streusel recipe as I had a lot remaining after I'd topped all the muffins. I think this is my new favorite way to use up ripe bananas!"