Double Chip Meringue Bars Recipe
This recipe came from my mom. It originally called just for chocolate chips, but the addition of peanut butter chips was a huge success. And the meringue topping makes these bars extra special.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, water and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- 2. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chips and pat lightly. For topping, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over chips.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 each: 124 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Double Chip Meringue Bars
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC