Double Chip Meringue Bars Recipe
This recipe came from my mom. It originally called just for chocolate chips, but the addition of peanut butter chips was a huge success. And the meringue topping makes these bars extra special.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, water and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chips and pat lightly. For topping, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over chips.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Double Chip Meringue Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p77
Reviews for Double Chip Meringue Bars(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review