Double Cherry Pie Recipe
The combination of tart canned cherries and dried cherries make this so yummy. This is the best cherry pie I have ever raised on a fork to my lips! —Jerri Gradert, Lincoln, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries, undrained
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup juice. Set cherries aside. In a small saucepan, combine dried cherries and reserved juice. Bring to a boil; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tart cherries, dried cherries and extract. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg. Add to cherry mixture; toss to coat.
- 3. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edges. Pour filling into crust. Dot with butter.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC