Double Cherry Pie
The combination of tart canned cherries and dried cherries make this so yummy. This is the best cherry pie I have ever raised on a fork to my lips! —Jerri Gradert, Lincoln, Nebraska
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries, undrained
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup juice. Set cherries aside. In a small
- saucepan, combine dried cherries and reserved juice. Bring to a
- boil; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the tart cherries, dried cherries and
- extract. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and
- nutmeg. Add to cherry mixture; toss to coat.
- Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the
- other. Roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer
- pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edges. Pour filling into
- crust. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake at 375°