—Sabrina DeWitt, Cumberland, Maryland
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon, divided
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, white sauce and 3/4 cup bacon; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Melt remaining butter. Add bread crumbs; toss to coat. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining bacon. Bake 5 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Double-Cheese Ziti with Bacon in Casseroles Fall 09 2009, p43
Reviews for Double-Cheese Ziti with Bacon
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review