- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Double-Cheese Macaroni
Sort By :
"Made this for my family (very picky family!) and was given thumbs-up from all :)I did substitute buttermilk for half-and-half as this is what I had in the fridge, and it came out gooey, creamy, and very rich! Definitely will make again, though I will skip the breadcrumb topping as it fell flat in taste and had a weird texture."
"I've tried many Mac n Cheese receipes and this is the family's favorite. I Makethis and break it down into individual portions and freeze it. I can't rave enough on who good it is.JohnLong Island, N.Y."
"Great recipe! I found this recipe in the magazine a few years back and it has become a family favorite. I make it now for every holiday occasion and pot lucks."
"Very easy to prepare and delicious! We added a bit more salt and fresh ground black pepper."
"Simple and fantastic."