Double-Cheese Macaroni Recipe
A friend passed this recipe on to me and I made some changes that created this definite crowd pleaser. I make it for every family get-together and I haven't found anyone, child or adult, who doesn't love this ooey, gooey macaroni and cheese. —Sabrina DeWitt, Cumberland, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup equals 681 calories, 37 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 1,251 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 34 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC