Double-Cheese Ham Souffle Recipe
- 16 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups finely crushed cornflakes
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with ham, cheeses and remaining bread cubes.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Combine the cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over casserole.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 470 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 205 mg cholesterol, 1,163 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.