Double-Cheese Beef Pasta Recipe
Provolone and mozzarella cheeses star in this comforting pasta dish. My mother shared the recipe with me when I was married more than 50 years ago.—Marilyn Pearson, Billings, Montana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked medium shell pasta
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained and finely chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced provolone cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Drain pasta; place half in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the beef mixture. Layer with sour cream and provolone cheese. Top with remaining pasta and beef mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 649 calories, 35 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 1,027 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 40 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC