Provolone and mozzarella cheeses star in this comforting pasta dish. My mother shared the recipe with me when I was married more than 50 years ago.—Marilyn Pearson, Billings, Montana
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked medium shell pasta
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained and finely chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced provolone cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta; place half in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the beef mixture. Layer with sour cream and provolone cheese. Top with remaining pasta and beef mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Double-Cheese Beef Pasta in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p59
Reviews for Double-Cheese Beef Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review