Dorothy's Barbecue Recipe
A friend shared this recipe with me, and my son loves it! It's a bit sweeter than most barbecue recipes. It also freezes well, so it's convenient for a meal on a moments notice.
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 12 cups water
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 18 to 20 hamburger buns, split
- 1. Place roast and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove heat; cool. Strain broth; set aside 1-1/2 cups.
- 2. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine ketchup, brown sugar, coffee, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, horseradish, seasonings and reserved broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 3. Thinly slice or shred roast; add to sauce and heat through. Serve on buns. Yield: 18-20 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC